Tuesday, November 27, 2007

The Why is the Weather Bipolar? Song / What is Politically Correct?



I was really nervous about offending people with this song. Like reeeeally nervous. I thought I was gonna getting flamming comments from people saying things like "how dare you mock this serious condition?!" or "it is very irresponsible to perpetuate offensive stereotypes" or "I hate u! die! die! die! yur ugly" I was so nervous I even wrote a disclaimer into the song.

In fact, I debated long and hard whether even make this video at all.

In retrospect, I think I may have worried a bit too much; the song is very tame. I think my anxiety was the product of my enviroment. I live in Berkeley, CA possibly the most PC place on earth, where from a young age you get so straddled into saying the politically correct thing, you learn no other way. The other day I got an intense lecture from a stranger when the word "gypsy" slipped from my mouth (I was discussing that movie about chocolate with johnny depp). We were on the bus and I only escaped when I reached my stop (she coul've gone on for hours). The truth is, I go through life thinking, "everyone has their buttons, and I don't want to push them" and it's hard to break out of that bubble.

Note: this whole situation is very ironic considering Berkeley was the home of the Free Speech movement of the sixties, but I digress.

But the more relevent factor that contributed to my anxiety is the fact that several of my close family members are Bipolar, and I really, really didn't want to offend them. I wanted them to see that I was just poking fun, that I had a right to poke fun even, but I was very worried they wouldn't. Turns out all of those worries were unwarranted, they liked the song.

And it seems ya'll liked it too! Which is what really matters. Hopefully, I'll never almost self-censor again. Hopefully someday I'll produce something so offensive and reprehensible you will all unsubscribe. Then my work will be done.

wait, actually, no, scratch that, ignore what I just said.. err...

-abby

1 comment:

Weaseldog said...

Bah, call them 'Tinkers'!

'Gypsy' seems like a kind word compared to others I've heard.

Did she want you to call them 'Travellers'?

So write a song about being PC :)